Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Choosing between Surveys – what type of report do I need?


A survey will help you to make a reasoned and informed decision on whether to go ahead with buying a property taking into account factors such as what is a reasonable price to pay for the property and whether there are any serious or urgent defects or specific risks with the property. Arranging your own survey is the simple, cost-effective way to avoid unpleasant – and perhaps expensive – surprises after moving in. Even if you are looking for a mortgage and, as a result, may be paying for a mortgage valuation report, we still recommend that you arrange a survey by a chartered surveyor. RICS surveyors offer two types of survey that are specifically designed to help home buyers. These are a building survey and the RICS Homebuyer service.


What is a RICS Homebuyer report?


The RICS Homebuyer service includes an inspection, a report and a valuation including building insurance valuation. This is all explained in detail in the Description of Service which we will give you before you decide whether or not to proceed. This type of report is designed for properties of traditional type and construction, apparently in reasonable condition. It identifies what the surveyor considers to be the most important issues and, by applying condition ratings to the elements of the building the report advises whether the defects are serious or urgent. It is an economical service and this is reflected in the mid-range price. Any surveyor who prepares a Homebuyers report must be licensed by the RICS.


What is a Building Survey?


A building survey report can be prepared for any property and is a detailed report that is tailored to suit your needs. It will give you a detailed assessment of the condition and construction of the property together with technical advice on any problems and work needed to put them right. It also includes further advice including maintenance notes. As the reporting format is longer the building survey is more expensive than a Homebuyers report.


How long will it take?


In most cases, we are able to arrange an inspection within 2 – 3 days from the time when you confirm that you wish to proceed and reports are issued no more than 2 -3 working days after our visit to the property.


How and when do I pay for the report?


We do not ask you to pay any money upfront and are happy to accept payment by debit / credit card; bank transfer or cheque. All gross fees quoted include VAT and we will contact you when the report is ready to be issued so that payment can be arranged. We do not make any additional charge if you pay by debit / credit card. Please click here to see our terms of payment


What happens now?


If you are interested in proceeding, we will email or post you a Description of Service for the RICS Homebuyers report or Terms of Engagement for a building survey and will be happy to answer any questions. We will also send you an instruction form for completion and return by post, fax or email. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you require any further information.


Contact us


You can phone us on 01494 536765 (Fax 01494 536769) or email us by clicking here